The STARability Foundation is seeking a Program Instructor for its Trailblazer Academy, a community-based vocational training and educational program for post-high school individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The Program Instructor will support the Program Director in developing, conducting and evaluating all the components of the Trailblazer Academy. Program areas include job training and readiness, nutrition & health, life skills, personal finance & budgeting and discovering the arts. The Program Instructor should have a passion for advocating for the participants while out in the community and provide mentorship to help them reach their individual goal while recognizing their unique abilities.
- Supervise the participants while out in the community and participate in all activities.
- Help gather materials and supplies for weekly lesson plans.
- Evaluate the participants to identify their job readiness, job skills and employment goals.
- Work with participants out in the community at vocational sites implementing employment-readiness curriculum that includes activities of daily living and community awareness.
- Maintain data on participants while at specific vocational sites and other components of the program using a provided electronic data collection program.
- Communicate effectively using appropriate tools and techniques and interact and develop positive and professional relationships with individuals with disabilities, their families and members of the community.
- Locate and evaluate information and situations from multiple perspectives in decision-making regarding health promotion and physical activity for individuals with disabilities and apply advocacy skills for a healthy lifestyle.
- Additional duties with this position include attending STARability social events to support staff and our participants. We also request participation in support of our annual signature fundraising gala as part of the event logistics team.
- The Trailblazer Academy regular hours are Monday through Friday 9:00AM-3:00PM. This position is 32 hours per week. Additional hours for events on evenings or weekends may be required.
- Associates Degree in Special Education, Occupational Therapy, Therapeutic Recreation, Physical Therapy, Adapted Physical Activity, Physical and Health Education or a related field, OR
- Two years of experience providing education, social, or direct care services to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Ability to apply general principles of education, vocational training and socialization for individuals with developmental challenges and similar needs seeking and maintaining employment, and those seeking to develop skills that could eventually lead to employment.
- Ability to be flexible, patient and handle a variety of situations.
- Ability to communicate with a wide variety of individuals within the community.
How to Apply
Applications for the Trailblazer Academy Instructor a position will be accepted via email to Madison McNally, Program Director at Madison@starability.org. Please include a resume, cover letter and 3 references.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.