St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf in Brooklyn
Posted OnNovember 16, 2018
Experience Level10+ Years
Education LevelMaster's Degree
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf in Brooklyn
Founded in 1960, St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf in Brooklyn provides a Parent/Infant Program and Pre-K through 8th grade teaching academics and life skills to deaf children and their families. The school’s mission is to encourage the maximum potential for learning in each child regardless of race, creed or color. This education embraces all facets of the child – psychological, physical, social, and emotional with the goal of producing a well-adjusted deaf individual who makes maximum use of acquired skills.
At St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf, every child is seen as a unique individual and treated with warmth, respect and acceptance regardless of the nature and degree of the disability. The staff works to make each student an active learner, and the teaching and curriculum help each student develop the inner controls necessary for a self-supporting attitude towards life. The school understands the importance of parent involvement and provides parent education classes, support groups and sign language classes. They also encourage visitors from clinics, universities and community organizations. Each student graduates from the school with the goal of being an independent and productive individual who functions and contributes to society.
The St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf in Brooklyn is located in the Prospect Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn and is designated by New York State Department of Education as a qualified State Support School (4201 School) serving students who are deaf, blind and have other special needs.
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf is seeking a committed, inspirational and highly effective manager as its next Director. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Director will provide leadership in developing and maintaining the best possible educational programs and services for the benefit of the students. The Director will lead, guide, and direct members of the senior administration and faculty in setting and achieving the highest standards of excellence in the educational programs and operating systems. This individual will oversee and administer the use of facilities, property, and funds in the best interest of the school.
The Director must be a highly intelligent self-starter who will promote and ensure broad adherence to the School’s mission and vision. He or she must be able to work closely with the Board and staff in a transparent, honest fashion that promotes inclusiveness, cooperation and teamwork. The Director will provide leadership that further enhances St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf in Brooklyn’s culture of continuous improvement and results in student outcomes.
• Provide direction to the School’s Leadership Team in establishing strategic priorities, setting and enforcing policies, and in developing appropriate and timely responses that address short- and long-term institutional needs.
• Serve as the primary liaison to the Board of Directors and execute all policies and decisions on behalf of the Board; assist in the coordination and administration of Board and Board committee meetings.
• Report to the Board regularly on the School’s successes, challenges and opportunities.
• Oversee development and implementation of the School’s strategic plan; work with the Leadership Team to develop goals and benchmarks for success, and action plans.
• Develop and maintain the School’s capital, operating, and departmental budgets working with the Principal and Business Manager and submit to board approval; in addition the Director will provide regular financial updates to the Board.
• Protect the School’s legal interests and maintain its operations within the law; retain and work with counsel to obtain opinions and handle any claims.
• Hire and provide direct supervision to the Principal, Business Manager, Pupil Personnel Coordinator, and all supervisors.
External Relations and Government Affairs
• Lead the effort, with the assistance of the Principal and the Business Manager, to secure funding for the School from New York State Education Department.
• Develop and maintain relationships with key external constituencies.
• Participate actively in local, state, and national efforts to influence legislation favorable to deaf students, their families, and the School.
• Interpret legislative efforts into affirmative action plans for Board of Directors and staff.
• Direct the School’s public relations and community relations activities.
• Enhance the School’s financial position through sustained fundraising efforts from government and private philanthropic sources, including individuals, foundations, and corporations.
• Master’s Degree required
• Minimum of seven (7) or more years as a school director, principal and/or senior administrator
• Experience working with deaf and/or special needs students
• State certification or evidence of readiness for state certification
• Sign Language Proficiency, preferred
• Special Needs Experience, preferred
• Demonstrated leadership ability, which includes effectively managing and motivating a team to achieve goals
• Outstanding organizational skills; capacity to manage multiple responsibilities and competing demands
• Strong strategic thinking, problem solving and implementation skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal, relationship-building and networking skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a calm and respectful manner; commitment to fostering a collaborative, professional, and respectful work environment.
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf in Brooklyn is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Salary is commensurate with experience. For more information about St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf in Brooklyn, please visit them online at www.sfdesales.org
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner & CEO
Dr. Jane Herzog, Director, Educational Leadership
122 East 42nd Street, Suite 3605
New York, NY 10168
Please put the words “St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf” in the subject line of your e-mailed application.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.