Student Life Staff
LocationUnion Grove, WI
Posted OnFebruary 7, 2020
Experience LevelEntry Level
Education LevelNot Specified
SUMMARY: The Student Life Staff for Shepherds College (SC) will help guide students in the implementation of daily living skills training and provide supervision and direction for the students through the implementation of both structured activities and leisure time interactions, all in an effort to promote students’ growth towards Appropriate Independence™.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include the following; other duties may be assigned):
Oversees All Aspects of Student Life For SC Students:
– Implement evening programming and supervise leisure time for students
– Pass medications and train students in personal medication and health
– Provide assistance and hands-on adaptive skill set training to students
– Administrate the guidelines and policies in the student handbook
– Manage behavioral issues among students and communicate information regarding student behaviors to the student life team, the student’s advisor, and other appropriate personnel
– Train and assist students with meal planning, preparation, and grocery shopping
– Complete required documentation, assessments, and communication
– Facilitate the work of volunteers who interact with students during the evenings
– Assist students with finances, personal care, and health management
– Work closely with other faculty members to ensure that the various components of the program are working in harmony, complementing one another
– Organize, continue, and develop systems in order to maintain consistency, cleanliness, progression, and promote student growth for weekdays and weekends
– Attend faculty/staff meetings, as assigned
– Work effectively with team members.
– Maintain positive and supportive relationships with students and their families
– Treat each student with respect and dignity
– Communicate in a courteous and professional manner
– Actively participate in trainings and meetings
– Consistently demonstrate Christ-likeness in actions and words
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS:
– Bachelor degree is preferred, but not required; Degree in Education/Special Education is a plus
– Experience working with individuals with intellectual disabilities is favorable
– Must be an effective communicator, including verbal and written communication
– Must possess strong organizational skills
– Must possess a high-level of professionalism, including the ability to maintain confidentiality
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must give satisfactory evidence of having experienced the New Birth through Jesus Christ. Must give satisfactory evidence of having been obedient to the Lord in believer’s baptism. Must willingly and without mental reservation subscribe to a high standard of personal separation from worldliness and to Jesus Christ as Lord. Shall be a member in good standing of a fundamental, Bible-believing church of like faith and practice. Must accept the Articles of Faith last adopted by Shepherds Board of Directors without mental reservation. Is expected to attend the regularly stated local church services as work schedule will allow.
Employee must complete a TB skin test which certifies freedom from communicable disease within 90 days before beginning employment. Medical documentation of TB skin test results must be submitted to the Human Resources Department prior to beginning employment.
Shall have an understanding of, liking for, and respect for individuals with intellectual disabilities; a personality suitable for work with individuals with intellectual disabilities; and a capacity to perform the kinds of work required in this ministry.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: A Bachelor’s degree is preferred, but not required; Degree is Education / Special Education is a plus. At least one year of college education is preferred. Experience working with individuals with intellectual disabilities is favorable.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please note: Part-time and Pool positions are available as well.
If interested in this position, please email a cover letter and your resume to HRDept@shepherdscollege.edu.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.