LocationUnion Grove, WI
Posted OnFebruary 7, 2020
Experience LevelNot Specified
Education LevelNot Specified
SUMMARY: The Classroom Paraprofessional will serve in a support role to Shepherds College (SC) instructors, working with individual or groups of students in order to enhance classroom learning.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include the following: other duties may be assigned):
– Assist students in preparing for instruction
– Supervise students in assigned areas before classes
– Manage classroom disruptions
– Facilitate the work of students in small groups
– Work one-on-one with students as needed
– Co-teach lesson components as determined by the classroom instructor
– Supervise students during the lunch hour; provide support with food choices & portions as-needed
– Provide ongoing support to students as they clock-in and clock-out for classes
– Facilitate the growth of Appropriate Independence
– Assist students with academic tasks and organizational skills
– Support classroom instruction methods and procedures
– Observe and record information related to the tracking of student behavior
– Work closely with other faculty and staff members to ensure program success
– Participate in staff meetings, as assigned, and meet regularly with instructors
– Work effectively with team members
– Maintain positive and supportive relationships with students and their families
– Treat each student with respect and dignity
– Communicate in a courteous and professional manner
– Actively participate in trainings and meetings
– Consistently demonstrate Christ-likeness in their actions and words
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS:
– Experience working in an educational setting as a tutor or classroom assistant is preferred
– Must have experience working with individuals with intellectual disabilities
– Bachelor’s degree is preferred, but not required
– ABA certification is preferred, but not required
– Must be willing to incorporate teaching methods and procedures of Instructor
– Must be an effective communicator, including verbal and written communication
– Must possess strong organizational skills
– Must possess a high-level of professionalism, including the ability to maintain confidentiality
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must give satisfactory evidence of having experienced the New Birth through Jesus Christ. Must give satisfactory evidence of having been obedient to the Lord in believer’s baptism. Must willingly and without mental reservation subscribe to a high standard of personal separation from worldliness and to Jesus Christ as Lord. Shall be a member in good standing of a Bible-believing church of like faith and practice. Must accept the Articles of Faith last adopted by Shepherds Board of Directors without mental reservation. Is expected to attend the regularly stated local church services as work schedule will allow.
Employee must complete a TB skin test which certifies freedom from communicable disease within 90 days before beginning employment. Medical documentation of TB skin test results must be submitted to the Human Resources Department prior to beginning employment.
Shall have an understanding of, liking for, and respect for individuals with intellectual disabilities; a personality suitable for work with individuals with intellectual disabilities; and a capacity to perform the kinds of work required in this ministry.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: ABA certification and a Bachelor’s degree are both preferred, but not required. Experience working in an educational setting as a tutor or classroom assistant is preferred. Must have experience working with individuals with intellectual disabilities.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
If interested in this position, please email a cover letter and your resume to HRDept@shepherdscollege.edu.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.