LocationUnion Grove, WI
Posted OnFebruary 7, 2020
Experience LevelNot Specified
Education LevelBachelor's Degree
SUMMARY: The Advisor for Shepherds College (SC) will promote student growth towards Appropriate Independence™, facilitate academic progress, advocate for student needs, develop goals and supports in order to promote student achievement, and instruct as assigned. Hours: Full-time; 1st shift weekdays; 45 Hours; On-call responsibilities for medical and behavioral emergencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (include the following: other duties may be assigned):
– Provide academic advisement, personal and professional guidance, and career counseling for an assigned group of students through regular individual meetings and personal connections
– Act as the primary liaison and point of first contact between parents of advisees and Shepherds College
– Interact with instructors regarding the academic goals of individual students
– Collaborate with parents in an effort to promote student success
– Understand the medical needs of students; work with nursing to ensure those needs are met
– Communicate with community professionals regarding medical and psychological health needs
– Maintain a file for each student
– Update student profiles for advisees
– Manage behavioral issues among students and help implement behavior plans as needed, communicating regularly with academic and student life staff regarding behavioral concerns
– Complete required documentation, assessments, and communication
– Assist students with finances, personal care, and health management
– Fulfill classroom/instructional responsibilities, as assigned
– Evaluate and assess prospective students
– Contribute to continuous improvement
– Attend faculty/staff meetings as assigned
– Instruct classes as assigned
– Evaluate the academic needs of students and assist in the selection of appropriate curriculum materials which meet the needs of students and the objectives of the program
– Present lessons utilizing effective instructional methods; complete weekly lesson plans
– Assess students’ knowledge, understanding, and skill acquisition regularly
– Complete and maintain student records on an ongoing basis
– Contribute to continuous school improvement
– Additional classroom/instructional responsibilities as assigned
– Work effectively with team members
– Maintain positive and supportive relationships with students and their families
– Treat students, staff, and parents with respect and dignity
– Communicate in a courteous and professional manner
– Actively participate in trainings and meetings
– Consistently demonstrate Christ-likeness in actions and words
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS:
– Bachelor’s degree is required; degree in Social Work, Psychology or Special Education is a plus
– Must have experience working with individuals with intellectual disabilities
– Must have a commitment to student learning and development
– Must be an effective communicator, including verbal and written communication
– Must possess strong organizational skills
– Must possess a high-level of professionalism, including the ability to maintain confidentiality
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must give satisfactory evidence of having experienced the New Birth through Jesus Christ. Must give satisfactory evidence of having been obedient to the Lord in believer’s baptism. Must willingly and without mental reservation subscribe to a high standard of personal separation from worldliness and to Jesus Christ as Lord. Shall be a member in good standing of a fundamental, Bible-believing church of like faith and practice. Must accept the Articles of Faith last adopted by Shepherds Board of Directors without mental reservation. Is expected to attend the regularly stated local church services as work schedule will allow.
Employee must complete a TB skin test which certifies freedom from communicable disease within 90 days before beginning employment. Medical documentation of TB skin test results must be submitted to the Human Resources Department prior to beginning employment.
Shall have an understanding of, liking for, and respect for individuals with intellectual disabilities; a personality suitable for work with individuals with intellectual disabilities; and a capacity to perform the kinds of work required in this ministry.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: A Bachelor’s degree is preferred; degree in Social Work, Psychology or Special Education is a plus. Experience working with individuals with intellectual disabilities is required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
If interested in this position, please email a cover letter along with your resume to HRDept@shepherdscollege.edu.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.