Protected Harbor, Inc.
LocationFort Myers, FL
Posted OnOctober 23, 2019
Experience Level5-10 Years
Education LevelBachelor's Degree
Protected Harbor, Inc.
Fort Myers, Florida
About Protected Harbor
Protected Harbor was established as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with the mission to develop and operate permanent supportive housing, enhanced by Christian care, for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Protected Harbor is a faith-based organization operating out of two locations in Fort Myers, where adults with developmental disabilities live and socialize together. The first home built—referred to as Protected Harbor 1—is a beautiful facility which houses six women in individual bedroom-bathroom suites, with two live-in care giving couples. Protected Harbor 2 is an equally beautiful co-ed facility with two live-in care giving couples, and it is licensed to serve six individuals. The Protected Harbor residential community is centered on lifelong opportunities for social, emotional and spiritual growth. The Board is highly committed to the success and future growth of Protected Harbor.
Protected Harbor has an annual operating budget of $500,000. The organization receives government fees to offset the cost of services, but the organization is also financed by resident fees, contributions (individual, corporate, organizational), fundraising events, and grants. The organization has grown and matured to the point that the Board is now ready to hire an Executive Director. The long-term vision is to add additional facilities and to create an endowment which would provide funding for developmentally disabled individuals who are not currently eligible for other funding, but are seeking and would benefit from a loving, Christian home.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned manager (with a preference for experience in the provision of residential services for people with developmental disabilities) who has demonstrated success in fundraising. The ideal candidate will genuinely share the vision of Protected Harbor. Given that Protected Harbor is dedicated to offering various opportunities for spiritual growth for its residents, and to ensure that environment is maintained, the person hired for this position is expected to be a transparent leader who has a real passion for Protected Harbor as a faith-based organization. The ideal candidate must also have excellent communication skills, be a “self-starter” with a strong work ethic, and exhibit high energy.
Day-to-day operations of the corporation are under the direction of the Executive Director, reporting to and serving at the pleasure of the Board. Organization and operational planning, decision making and execution, external relations and fundraising will be his/her primary responsibilities.
1) Board Governance: Works with Board in order to fulfill the organization’s mission.
2) External Relations: Represents the organization to the community.
3) Fund Raising: Generates funds through new sources.
4) Operational Planning & Management: Oversees the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization.
5) Financial Planning & Management: Plans for adequate resources and ensure sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures.
6) Human Resource Planning & Management: Determine and oversee staffing requirements and policies for organizational management and program delivery.
7) Risk Management: Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization’s people (residents, staff, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image, and implement measures to control risks.
Professional and Personal Qualifications
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, personal attributes and/or abilities required.
1) Education and Experience: At least an undergraduate degree in Social Work, Business, Finance, Non-Profit Administration, or closely related area. Master’s degree is preferred. Seven (7) years of progressive management experience in the nonprofit sector with a proven track record in fundraising. At least 4 to 5 years of experience working with developmentally disabled adults would be highly desirable. The person hired is expected to participate in on-going professional training opportunities to enhance their skills and knowledge.
2) Skills and Abilities: Candidates should possess mature personal characteristics such as patience, tolerance, compassion and a willingness to learn. Candidates must have a strong sense of serving and caring for the needs of adults with disabilities. In addition, candidates must possess strong written and verbal language skills and be competent in using associated computer systems and software, as required.
3) Reasoning Ability: Candidates should have maturity and common sense to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of issues that may arise when working with residents and their families.
4) Personal Attributes: The person hired for the position will have direct personal contact with the residents of Protected Harbor. They must be responsible and of good moral character. The person hired must pass a comprehensive criminal background check. To ensure that the focus of Protected Harbor as a faith-based organization, providing a loving, Christian home environment is maintained, the candidates for this position are expected to be mature adults with personal integrity, character and reputation consistent with this goal, who would be a role model of the Protected Harbor values for the residents and staff. The person hired for this position must be in good physical, mental and emotional health, as evidenced by a stable, even disposition, a sense of humor and ego strength that subordinates personal, self-centered preferences and convenience to the greater good of the corporation, its staff and its residents. The person hired must be able to effectively deal with conflict and adversity.
The compensation for the chosen candidate will be competitive for the position and the area. In addition, Protected Harbor provides a generous monthly stipend toward privately purchased health insurance, a car allowance, a match up to 3% of salary contributed to an IRA, plus holidays and personal days (for vacation and sick leave.)
Protected Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Institution and EEO/Affirmative Action Employer committed to excellence through diversity. Employment offers are made on the basis of qualifications and without regard to race, sex, national or ethnic origin, disability, age or veteran status.
To apply for this position, submit resume and cover letter to Don Harkins, The Moran Company. APPLY NOW
For more information about Protected Harbor, visit their website.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.