The MetroWest Center for Independent Living (MWCIL) is seeking an Executive Director to lead the organization in its mission to enhance the full participation of persons with disabilities in the community. MWCIL is a consumer-controlled, community-based, cross-disability non-residential private nonprofit agency. MWCIL provides an array of independent living services that enable people with disabilities to live independently in our area- 26 towns in the MetroWest section of Massachusetts.
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of MWCIL. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives, as found in the strategic plan. Our mission is to enhance the full participation of persons with disabilities in the community.
In program development and administration, the Executive Director will: 1) Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward it makes consistent and timely progress. 2) Provide leadership in developing program, organizational. and financial plans with the board of Directors and staff and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board. 3) Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work. 4) Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations. 5) Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
In Communications, the Executive Director will: 1) See that the Board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it. 2) Publicize the activities of the organization in its programs and goals. 3)Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations. 4) Represent the programs and point of view of MWCIL to other agencies, organizations, state and federal legislature, and the general public. 5) Promote retention and diversity of board members and ensuring full representation on the Board. 6) See that MWCIL continues to be in the forefront of technology, making sure that the staff and consumers have access to the latest technologies to better access communications, information, social media and other resources.
In relations with staff, the Executive Director will: 1) Be responsible for the recruitment, employment and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers. 2) Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resources practices are in place. 3) See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place. 4)Encourage staff and volunteer development and education and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization. 5)Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top-quality people.
In budget and finance, the Executive Director will: 1) Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices. 2) work with the staff, finance committee, and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines. 3) Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work, now and into the future. Increase Retained Earnings by 1-3% a year, as determined by the Board. 4) Jointly, with the president and secretary of the Board of Directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
Job Requirements – Minimum Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of the independent living philosophy and empowering people with disabilities. Personal experience with disability preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and incorporate the perspectives and input of a diverse range of people, backgrounds, and skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s or advanced professional degree preferred, or equivalent demonstrated experience.
- Five to eight years of senior-level leadership and management experience, including personnel management, operations management, and financial management. Experience in business or non-profit management preferred, although all industry backgrounds are welcome.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to deal effectively with consumers, advocates, community organizations, legislators, media on issues that are important to the community.
- Familiarity with grant writing, development activities, and other funding related opportunities.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate productively with a broad variety of audiences, partners, and constituents.
- Experience with working with governing boards or similar structures.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter by December 31, 2022 via email to EDsearch@mwcil.org. Please indicate Executive Director Position in the subject line. You may also submit your resume and cover letter via post mail to: Executive Director Search Committee, MetroWest Center for Independent Living, Inc., One Clarks Hill, Suite 200, Framingham MA 01702.
If you need any accommodations in the application process, please do not hesitate to request them. This position is open until filled.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.