Marbridge currently has an opportunity for a Registered Nurse to join us as Director of Nursing at our 92-bed skilled nursing facility, located in Manchaca, TX (just south of Austin). The Villa provides care and support to an extremely unique population of individuals primarily with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
This population makes working at the Villa a much different experience than working at any other nursing facility in the greater Austin area – in the U.S. there are only a handful of nursing facilities that cater primarily to a special needs population.
The Director of Nursing assists the Administrator in planning, organizing, developing, and directing the day-to-day functions of the Nursing Department and the home overall in accordance with current federal, state, and local standards, guidelines, and regulations that we are governed by. The DON reports to the Administrator and works with the Medical Director to ensure that the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Director of Nursing:
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of the needs of the intellectually and developmentally disabled population served at Marbridge Villa to ensure the fulfillment of the Marbridge Foundation mission.
- Develops, maintains, and implements nursing policies and procedures that conform to current standards of nursing practice, facility philosophy, and operational policies while maintaining compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
- Communicates and interprets policies and procedures to nursing staff, and monitors staff practices and implementation.
- Participates in all admission decisions and may visit prospective residents before admission.
- Evaluates the work performance of all nursing personnel, assists in the determination of wage increases, and implements discipline according to operational policies.
- Ensures delivery of compassionate quality care and nursing supervision as evidenced by adequate services and staff coverage on unit, absence of odors, general cleanliness, prevention of pressure wounds, and apparent maintenance of optimal resident functions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and application of Key Clinical Quality Indicators, and proactively monitors and implements systems to achieve and/or surpass company thresholds.
- Oversees or is responsible for the CNA and CMA certification programs, competency testing, and all related records
- Reviews 24-hour report from every unit daily to monitor and ensure timely, effective responses to significant changes in condition, transfers, and discharges, use of restraints, unexplained injuries, falls, behavioral episodes, and medication errors.
- Collaborates with physicians, consultants, community agencies, and institutions to improve the quality of services and to resolve identified problems.
- Oversees and supervises development and delivery of in-service education to equip nursing staff with sufficient knowledge and skills to provide compassionate, quality care and respect for resident rights.
- Proactively develops positive employee relations, incentives, and recognition programs. Promotes teamwork, mutual respect, and effective communication.
- Performs rounds to observe care and to interview staff, residents, families or other interested parties.
- Prepares or reviews infection control surveillance reports to identify trends and to develop effective actions to control and prevent infections. Submits an infection control report to the QA Committee.
- Is an active member of the QA Committee and coordinates and/or develops on-going QA activities for nursing services to monitor nursing compliance with standards and regulatory requirements through rounds, interviews, and record reviews. Compiles summary of findings for the Quality Assurance committee.
- Participates in budget development for the nursing department, and for medical, nursing, and central supplies. Assures nursing staff properly charges out ancillaries used.
- Helps the Director prepare staff for inspection surveys, instructing staff on matters of conduct and disclosure, being interviewed by inspectors, immediate corrections of problems noted by surveyors, etc. Reviews and reinforces important standards previously cited.
- Participates in the preparation of the Plan of Correction response to an inspection survey, and implements any follow-up QA required for any nursing allegations.
- Communicates directly with residents, families, medical staff, nursing staff, interdisciplinary team members, and Department Heads to coordinate care and services, promote participation in care plans, and maintain a high quality of care and life for residents.
- Promotes customer service and hospitality and responds to and adequately resolves complaints or concerns from residents or families about nursing services.
- Develop and maintain nursing service objectives, standards of nursing practice, and the application of nursing policies and procedures
- In coordination with the Director, decide the appropriateness of placement of new residents
- Coordinate interdisciplinary care plans to address highest level of care and services to each resident
- Must possess a current Texas license as a Registered Nurse and have graduated from an accredited school of nursing. BSN or MSN preferred.
- Two years of professional nursing experience in a long-term care setting is required
- Minimum of three years’ experience in nursing administration or a comparable management position
- Must possess and demonstrate a high degree of leadership, organizational ability, and communication skills
- Knowledge of intellectual and developmental disability, long-term care management, policies, budgeting, personnel management, and census development is required.
How to Apply
Please apply through our posting on Indeed.com.
Benefits of working at Marbridge:
- Relaxed mission oriented environment
- Medical, Dental & Vision plans
- 401k Retirement with employer matching
- Basic Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Paid Holidays (including your Birthday!)
- Paid Time Off – 80 hours in your first year
- FREE meals during your shift
- FREE access to a new state of the art gym with cardio equipment, bikes, weights, studio room, and basketball court
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.