The Disability Law Center (DLC) has immediate openings for two full-time Staff Attorneys. DLC is the federally authorized Protection and Advocacy agency for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. DLC’s core mission is to provide legal advocacy on disability issues that promote the fundamental rights of all people with disabilities to participate fully and equally in the social and economic life of Massachusetts. DLC fulfills its mission through a combination of the following: monitoring and investigating places where persons with disabilities live or receive services; individual representation and advocacy; legislative and administrative advocacy; and individual and class action impact litigation.
Staff Attorney Responsibilities:
- Represent clients in any or all of DLC’s practice areas, consistent with DLC’s priorities, objectives, and selection criteria, including the development and implementation of all phases of case strategies and activities (individual and impact litigation, systemic advocacy, etc.) in consultation with the Director of Advocacy and/or Director of Litigation;
- Provide information and short-term assistance to DLC clients, including writing letters and memoranda;
- Engage in monitoring and investigations of facilities, schools, and community programs. Draft findings and public and private reports.
- Analyze statutes, regulations, and agency policies/procedures;
- Conduct activities for the education and training of individuals with disabilities, members of the public, professionals, and others consistent with the DLC’s priorities;
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with subject area professionals and advocates, including state officials and agency staff, providers, advocacy organizations, pro bono attorneys, and community advocates; and
- Assist in the planning and development of DLC’s program priorities.
- Admission to (or eligibility to become a member of) the Massachusetts Bar;
Two years of legal experience preferred, one of which may be a judicial clerkship;
- Experience advocating on behalf of individuals with disabilities;
Ability to analyze facts and pertinent legal authority and develop creative solutions;
- Ability to communicate effectively, with particular emphasis on written communication, with ability to communicate in ASL, Spanish, or another non-English language preferred.
- Ability to travel throughout the Commonwealth;
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and collaboratively; and
- Ability to multi-task and effectively manage time.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit the following materials in Microsoft Word format through DLC’s website https://www.dlc-ma.org/attorney-job-description/.
- Cover Letter, which must indicate: a) your personal and professional motivation for seeking this position; and b) a discussion of how you meet each of the minimum qualifications and any of the desirable attributes for these positions;
- Resume; and
- Legal writing sample (5 to 10 pages).
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.