Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the District of Columbia Statewide Independent Living Council (DC SILC), the Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of the SILC including: policy, budget and program development; leadership and oversight of SILC legislative and advocacy efforts; membership development; resource development and public relations; representation of the SILC before the public; and management of SILC’s staff and activities.
The Executive Director will work with the District of Columbia’s DSE (Designated State Entity) assigned the responsibility of distributing the funding per the annual SILC Resource Plan. The Executive Director will, in conjunction with the DC SILC’s Executive Committee, finalize proposed budgets and oversee events as scheduled. The Executive Director reports to and is responsible to the District of Columbia Statewide Independent Living Council’s Executive Committee. This is a Full-Time, Exempt, Salaried position.
Essential Job Duties
- Supervise implementation of all aspects of DC SILC programs in compliance with federal and local mandates, policies, procedures, by-Laws, and the implementation of DC SILC goals and objectives
- Develop the monitor, review and/or evaluate the District of Columbia’s State Plan on
Independent Living in collaboration with the District of Columbia Center for Independent Living (DCCIL) and the Designated State Entity
- Collaborate to plan, develop and implement activities as a representative of the DC SILC with DCCIL and the Designated State Entity
- Ensure that DC SILC records/submit reports i.e. SILC Fulfillment of Program Performance Report (PPR) Part I. (Formerly the 704 report)
- Draft policies for the approval of the Council, and review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes as appropriate
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the SILC
- Collaborate with appropriate entities to assure compliance with the DC SILC resource plan, budget and reporting requirements within federal and local regulations, budget and fiscal compliance
- Control operation through day-to-day decisions and authorizations of expenditures as allowed by DC SILC’s Chair and Executive Committee and local and federal compliance
- Assure compliance with the provisions of the State Plan on Independent Living (SPIL) including all contracts, grants, and/or gifts received by DC SILC
- Participate in the development of the DC SILC annual budget, resource plan and fiscal reports as indicated by the SPIL and in accordance with the DC SILC Chair and Executive Committee
- Oversee negotiations of continuing contracts with all funding sources in conjunction with the DC SILC Chair and Executive Committee
- Coordinate activities with the District of Columbia Centers for Independent Living, the Designated State Entity and Community Partners to comply with the SPIL and ensure that District of Columbia citizens with disabilities with unserved and underserved service needs are met
- 5-7 years’ experience in disability services
- Experience in initiating, planning, implementing and evaluating programs and services
- Excellent interpersonal, time management, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Experience in networking and working with diverse populations
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, the Independent Living movement, and philosophy
- Experience working with federal, local and nonprofit entities serving people with disabilities
- Knowledge of Federal and State statutes and regulations affecting people with disabilities
How to Apply
To Apply, email resume and cover letter to Richard Simms, Executive Director of the DC Center for Independent Living – email@example.com.
When emailing use the subject: Application Submission – DCSILC Executive Director
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.