Employment Specialist/Job Developer
LocationLong Beach, CA
Posted OnDecember 8, 2020
Experience Level2-5 Years
Education LevelBachelor's Degree
Position – Employment Specialist/Job Developer
Reports to: Program Director
Pay Type: Hourly
The Employment Specialist will work directly with individuals with developmental disabilities and co-occurring mental illness seek to out non-traditional employment settings that match the personal interest and abilities of the employment searcher. This position will be utilizing a person-centered approach and training in Customized Employment is a must. They will work alongside of the Lead Staff and Employment Trainers to increase the individual’s vocational goals. They will be out in the community working on creating employment, paid internships, and volunteer opportunities for the individuals we serve. They will assist in cross training the long-term employment support on the individual’s specific support needs to make a smooth transition from our day program to employment.
· Evaluate the individual’s performance in working towards their goals
· Develops an individualized employment plan with each individual
· Assisting individuals search for employment options that match their interest and abilities
· Develop and maintain working relationships with local employers, creating paid internships and long-term employment opportunities for individuals
· Develop a resource base of employers committed to working with the individuals we serve
· Work closely to cross train the long-term employment support agencies of the individuals needs for a smooth transition when they exit our program
· Assist the individual with achieving the goals identified in their individualized service plan
· Participate in the individual’s planning meetings as requested
· Cold calling and visiting businesses to create individualized employment opportunities through a negotiation approach
· Assisting with individuals with employment search planning to determine fields of interest
· Responsible for documentation of case notes in a concise, professional, and accurate manner
· Partakes in supervision meetings with a consultant on a weekly, or as needed basis
· Protects privacy and confidentiality of information pertaining to the individual’s information and records
· Participate in ongoing training and staff meetings
· May perform other duties as assigned to assure efficiency of the program
· A Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Therapy, Sociology, Psychology, or related field preferred from an accredited program
· Associate’s Degree’s with 2 or more years of job development supporting individuals with developmental disabilities and mental disorders
· One-year or previous experience with job development in a supported employment agency supporting individuals with developmental disabilities, required.
· A familiarity with generic services offered at Regional Center and the Department of Rehabilitation.
· Understanding or previous training of the approach to job development though Customized Employment is preferred.
· Candidate must attend a Customized Employment Training prior or after hiring date.
· Excellent verbal and communication skills.
· Ability to demonstrate flexibility in work environment, performing a variety of changing tasks.
· Skills in sourcing jobs, and comfortableness with making cold calls and meeting potential employers.
· Willingness / ability to support individuals with challenging behavior. Each consumer of David’s Place II has a disability, which may require the Employment Specialist to demonstrate the following abilities, but not limited to: patience, understanding of various disabilities, and knowledge of how to create a positive outlook when the consumer may not have the ability to do so themselves.
· Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, effectively interacting with individuals.
· Valid CA Divers License in good standing
· Car Registration and vehicle Insurance
· Must be able to pass successfully pass health screening, drug test, TB test, and criminal background check
Please forward your resume to Program Director – Monica Beebe @ email@example.com
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.