Founded in 1981, the Cooperative for Human Services, Inc. is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides residential services, independent living supports, and guardianship services for people with intellectual and other related disabilities. Our mission is to empower, support, and expand the knowledge, skill, and natural capacities of the people we serve to direct and live full and meaningful lives within their community.
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller will be responsible for overseeing all the accounting operations across the organization, including functional responsibility for accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue, fixed assets, payroll, and audit activities. The Controller will provide technical and operational accounting guidance to ensure compliance with US GAAP and other statutory requirements. The Controller is an exempt professional who upholds and supports the organization’s mission, philosophy and values.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for financial reporting activities, including preparation of financial statements and statutory reporting; Uniform Financial Report (UFR) and 990
- Responsible for all aspects of accounting activities for the Company including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, expense reporting, month-end close. Provide backup as necessary.
- Oversee a timely and high-quality month-end close process, including adherence to the monthly close checklist and review of account reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts.
- Responsible for the administration and preparation of all service contracts and contract amendments. Also responsible for monitoring contract usage and utilization.
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and procedures that comply with US GAAP and local GAAP requirements
- Coordinate and manage the annual external audit process for the company’s financial statements.
- Assist in the development and implementation of financial and accounting systems that will support company’s continued growth.
- Oversight and management of the accounting team; ensure deliverables of self and team meet expectations.
- Establish and maintain a robust and adequate system of accounting records, policies & procedures and a comprehensive set of internal controls designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results. Identify and remediate any control deficiencies.
- Identify, research, and resolve accounting issues and keep abreast of new accounting and reporting requirements established by the FASB and other governmental agencies; analyze the implications of new requirements and help determine an appropriate approach to implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
CPA/MBA highly preferred
- Experience in non-profit organizations a PLUS!
- 7+ years of progressive accounting experience, including as a Controller
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of accounting professionals
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex financial information
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Sage Intacct preferred
- Ability to deal with a wide range of intellectual and practical problems
- Ability to utilize excellent judgment in developing sound solutions
- A valid Massachusetts driver’s license with at least one year driving experience and good driving history record required
- Ability to read and write in fluent English
- Must be passionate about making active contributions to an organization focused on continuous quality improvement
- Maintain compliance with government agencies
- Fluency in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
Cooperative for Human Services, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and competence and are not influenced or affected by race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran’s status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state, or local law.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should forward a resume and cover letter to Ivana Doucet (email@example.com)
Cooperative for Human Services Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, and competence and are not influenced or affected by race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran’s status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state, or local law.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.