- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in special education, law, or human services
Personal experience with disability
- Ability to relate to and work with clients with various disabilities of all ages, CILO staff and contractors, community service providers, and individuals seeking Information and Referral services
- An understanding of how to apply disability civil rights such as: the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Amendments Act, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
- Personal commitment to and demonstration of Independent Living Philosophy
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A functional understanding of the legislative, budget and rule-making process
- Proficient in computer programs and applications, such as Word, Excel, Power Point, email, the Internet, and databases
- Ability to travel over service area of Martin, St. Lucie and Okeechobee counties
- Establish a rapport with clients with disabilities
- Facilitate the provision of reasonable accommodations to clients where appropriate
- Work with clients to develop and achieve Independent Living Plans
- Deliver and/or provide individual and systems advocacy training on disability issues
- Advocate for students with disabilities at Individual Education Plan (IEP) and/or 504 Plan meetings
- Provide community education and outreach about CILO services that promote the understanding and integration of people with disabilities
- Participate in Coalitions/Community Boards on disability issues
- Collaborate and network with other service providers
- Contribute to CILO publications (in print and online) and marketing materials as requested
- Build personal knowledge of disabilities, programs and services through training opportunities
- Maintain client files, collect data, and deliver timely reports required by funders and Chief Executive Officer or designee.
- Cooperate with grant funding/donation requests, expenditures and reporting
- Comply with agency policies as expressed in the Personnel Manual and/or management directives
- Attend staff meetings and share knowledge with agency staff
- Cooperate with Board members where appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
Reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer or designee.
Legal and/or IEP experience preferred
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to Darlene Williamson, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
E-mail only. No phone calls.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.