Catholic Guardian Services
Direct Support Professional DSP
LocationStaten Island, NY
Posted OnOctober 30, 2022
Experience LevelEntry Level
Education LevelHigh School Diploma
Under the supervision of the residence manager and the clinical team, the Direct Support Professional (DSP) is responsible for the direct care and personal development of each person assigned who lives in a Catholic Guardian Services (CGS) residence. Interactions and supports are to be carried out in a manner that creates a homelike atmosphere and fosters learning, dignity and respect.
Essential Job Functions
● Implements all person-centered supports and services in a respectful and positive manner to assist with the achievement personal outcomes and life goals
● Assists each person to overcome barriers and challenges to establish and maintain a network of community-based relationships and valued social roles
● Protects health, safety and well-being of each person served to the fullest extent possible, in accordance with the plan of care.
● Supports each person with dignity and respect and teaches skills in adaptive behavior, activities of daily living, development of self-help and social skills and which foster greater independence and self-direction.
● Carries out all interventions, procedures and notifications, including but not limited to medical, behavioral and nursing, in accordance with the service plan, agency requirements and OPWDD regulations.
● Attends to personal hygiene needs of each person (i.e. toileting, bathing and changing as per the service plan and as the situation warrants).
● Ensures that all measures for health, safety and well-being are maintained at the highest level by maintaining a clean, safe, personalized, and homelike atmosphere.
● Prepares complete, concise written reports including but not limited to incident reports, progress notes and completes all required documentation in an accurate and timely manner.
● Ensures actions and services are conducted in a manner that uphold the right to privacy, support informed decision-making and prevent abuse and neglect.
● Carries out meal purchasing, planning, preparation and implementation in accordance with each person’s dietary needs and doctor’s order’s.
● Performs housekeeping, cooking, laundry, light maintenance and light preventative maintenance duties as needed to maintain a clean, personalized, safe and homelike environment.
● Acts immediately to prevent or redirect behavior that is threatening or dangerous to the person served or others and will exercise appropriate interventions in accordance with OPWDD regulations, and/or SCIP-R guidelines, the person-centered plan of care and level of training.
● Communicates in a respectful manner with all people including the people served, families and advocates, agency staff and members of the broader community.
● Adheres to the DSP Code of Ethics and all confidentiality guidelines in accordance with HIPAA requirements and agency policy.
Minimum Job Qualifications
● 18 years of age or older
● High School Diploma or GED
● Six months of related experience is preferred
● Valid New York State Driver’s License that is maintained in good standing
Skills and Abilities Required
● Ability to read, write, speak and understand English and follow instructions
● Good oral and written communication skills
● Ability to use computers or smart devices to carry out responsibilities.
● Good interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with all parties.
Physical and Emotional Abilities
● Ability to lift at least 50 pounds or more
● Daily standing, bending and lifting
● Must be able to stand for at least eight hours at a time
Submit resume to Recruiting@catholicguardian.org
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.