A Certified Work Incentive Counselor certificate is required.
The Benefits Counseling Coordinator is responsible for providing Benefits Counseling services for individuals with disabilities who are working or want to work. The counseling services are designed to provide competent and comprehensive information to individuals with disabilities who are working or want to work but are concerned that their employment and/or earnings may adversely impact their ability to get or keep the government-funded benefits they need to live as independently as possible in the community. The Coordinator will provide direct consultation to individuals. The Coordinator will coordinate with community partners as necessary to ensure all options are explored to the benefit of the individual with a disability with the goal of maximizing the individual’s employment, income, and wealth accumulation opportunities. The Coordinator will report to the Vice President of ACHIEVA Family Trust.
- Secures and maintains required credentialing or provider qualifications necessary to provide Benefits Counseling services offered via publicly funded programs, including but not necessarily limited to the PA Office of Developmental Programs’ Medicaid-funded home and community-based service waivers and Community HealthChoices.
- Receives and generates referrals for Benefits Counseling, as identified through contacts with ACHIEVA Support’s Employment Services department, Support Coordinators connected to the PA Office of Developmental Programs, Service Coordinators connected to Community HealthChoices, or other sources of possible referrals.
- Contacts the individual requesting benefits counseling to provide consultation via telephone or face-to-face meetings with the individual either virtually or in-person, depending on the informed choice of the individual with a disability and allowable by government and funder rules.
- Maintains competency in alternate formats for purposes of communicating effectively with individuals with disabilities who require accommodations for their communication needs. Arranges alternate formats and/or arranges for qualified interpreters when the individual requires them.
- Delivers benefits counseling in a manner that is professional and meets accepted standards by nationally recognized associations for benefits counseling or as determined by ACHIEVA.
- Completes an assessment for the individual, determines the information needed from the individual or other sources, takes appropriate steps to gather information, and provides professional, competent, and comprehensive benefits counseling to the individual that maximizes the individual’s employment, earnings, and wealth accumulation opportunities.
- When counseling needed by the individual cannot be provided, coordinates and assists where appropriate with referring the individual to other community partners, including the PA Health Law Project, and/or OVR, for supplemental information.
- Documents the interaction with the individuals seeking Benefits Counseling via tracking and billing information developed for the service, and in the appropriate electronic or other documentation systems, as required by ACHIEVA and/or funders including but not necessarily limited to PA Office of Developmental Programs, Community HealthChoices, etc.
- Conducts participant follow-up surveys with the individuals who have received the benefits counseling at six months and one-year intervals, or at increments determined by government rules, funders or supervisor, to determine the employment status of the individuals and document the outcomes of the benefits counseling.
- Develops reports, including six-month and annual reports for the services, or as required by government rules, funders or supervisor.
- Provides recommendations for continuous quality improvements for the process of referrals and benefits counseling.
- Provides the necessary documentation to bill for benefits counseling services, where possible.
- Conducts education and outreach for people with disabilities and their families to provide information regarding the availability, benefits, and costs of benefits counseling. Education and outreach activities will be targeted for various populations, including people with disabilities and family members who may benefit from this information, as well as other professionals.
- Develops opportunities for information and education events that provide information on the opportunities that exist for employment and maintaining government benefits.
Documents individual examples of barriers to employment, based on the individuals receiving the benefits counseling consultation. This information will be used to advocate for changes to public policies to promote competitive integrated employment for people with disabilities.
- Collaborates with various advocacy groups such as the United Way “I Want to Work” and “21 and Able” initiatives and The Arc of Greater Pittsburgh to advocate for improved opportunities for employment for people with disabilities.
- Performs various functions necessary to support trust administration for certain beneficiaries.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The equivalent of a Bachelor’s Degree. Certified Work Incentive Counselor certificate required. Superior knowledge of the various government benefit programs and rules for eligibility, with particular expertise in programs that promote employment for individuals with disabilities. Excellent communication, problem-solving and presentation skills. A car and a cell phone are necessary for work. Satisfactory ACT 33/34 clearances required. Satisfactory FBI clearance required depending on individuals assigned. Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license and a properly insured vehicle may be required.
ACHIEVA Now Pays for all Required Clearances!
Benefits: Medical & Time Off
- Medical, Dental, and Vision with low employee contributions
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Generous PTO plans including vacation, sick, and personal
- 8 Paid holiday days
- Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability, and Short-Term Disability available
- Benefits: Bonuses & Opportunities
- 403(b) Plan (All Employees) with employer contribution
- Eligible for Federal Student Loan Forgiveness
- Up to $500 bonus thru Employee Referral Program
- Four free counseling sessions for you when life happens through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Paid training
- Paid mileage (50 cents per mile) for traveling between client sites and offices with personal vehicle
Who Is Achieva?
We are the only agency in southwest Pennsylvania that provides lifelong support, from early intervention therapy to older adult protective services. Build a career in a rapidly growing company where our #1 priority is to make a difference in the lives of people with developmental and intellectual disabilities.
ACHIEVA is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer (EOE) and an Employer Partner under the Ticket to Work Program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. ACHIEVA is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for people with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact Wendy Bott, Human Resource Department, 412-995-5000 Ext. 492, email@example.com.
How to Apply
Please apply on our website: ACHIEVA.info
Come in and spend time with us to try to find the work that works for you!
Open Interviews – 12:00 Noon to 3:00 pm – every month at 2 locations:
– 2nd Wednesday of every month – 711 Bingham St., Pittsburgh, PA 15203
– 3rd Wednesday of every month – 316 Donohoe Rd., Greensburg, PA 15601
Call our Recruitment Hotline for more information at 412-995-5000 Ext. JOB
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed on Disability Scoop.