This position is responsible for the coordination of therapeutic programming and various other special events and programs for the department.
• Plans, develops and manages programming for therapeutics and citywide special events and programs. (70%)
o Plans, organizes and implements special events including the Annual Daddy-Daughter Date Night.
o Plans, organizes, implements and supervises programs and events for the Therapeutics (Special Population) programs and summer day camp.
o Plans, organizes and directs all Lee County Special Olympics programs and events.
o Plan, organizes and coordinates the Little Learners program, X-Cell Club.
o Works with Public Relations Specialist to publicize, market and promote special programs and events.
o Responds to requests from the public for new events and programs.
o Prepares and submits budget recommendations for special programming.
o Controls expenditures and performs financial monitoring of budgets for special programs and events.
o Prepares and administers contracts for performances and instructors.
o Prepares grants applications and administers grants.
• Manages the operation of Dean Road Recreation Center (15%)
o Plans, develops, coordinates and directs programs, activities, clubs and events at the recreation center.
o Plans daily work flow and sets priorities and deadlines for night staff.
o Interacts with the public to provide information regarding programs.
o Enforces rules and regulations of Dean Road Recreation Center.
o Inspects Dean Road Recreation Center for cleanliness and maintenance needs.
o Responds to questions and concerns regarding building maintenance and storage issues.
o Coordinates repair or replacement issues with Facilities Maintenance Superintendent.
• Performs supervisory duties for temporary and seasonal employees. (10%)
o Reviews applications for temporary and seasonal employment.
o Interviews and selects applicants for employment.
o Directs and evaluates the work of temporary recreation staff for special events and programs.
o Counsels and disciplines employees as necessary.
o Approves leave and verifies time sheets.
o Directs the work of interns and volunteers.
• Performs related duties. (5%)
o Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other City employees, special population participants and families, businesses and community organizations and the general public.
o Serves on various community boards as a representative of the department and the City.
o Attends meetings, conference, workshops and training sessions.
o Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
o Demonstrates punctual, regular and reliable attendance.
o Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of special events programming.
• Knowledge of special population needs, activities and programs.
• Knowledge of safety requirements.
• Knowledge of facility, equipment and supply needs for various events and activities.
• Knowledge of City and department rules and guidelines.
• Knowledge of budgeting practices and procedures.
• Knowledge of athletics and sporting events scheduling, programming and tournament rules.
• Knowledge of CPR and first aid.
• Skill in organizing and planning work.
• Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Skill in the supervision of personnel.
• Skill in the preparation and presentation of accurate and reliable reports.
• Ability to plan and develop programs and activities.
• Ability to balance the objectives of various competing groups, programs and employees.
• Ability to work flexible hours as necessary.
• Ability to work cooperatively with others.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to occupational field and minimum of 2 years’ experience with special population programs.
• Or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
• Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years of experience or service.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver license for the type of vehicle or equipment provided.