The Arc of Chemung is an established and well-respected nonprofit that supports individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. The Arc of Chemung is seeking an experienced Executive Director who can build on our successful track record and who shares our values, including a commitment to a person-centered culture.
The Arc of Chemung provides quality supports for individual growth by providing opportunities for increased independence and participation in the community. We support more than 800 individuals annually, with an operating budget of $24 million, consisting primarily of government funding sources. The Arc of Chemung has a staff of more than 475. The Executive Director is supported by an eight person senior leadership team, and reports to a 13-person Board of Directors, which is made up of representatives from the community and local businesses.
For more information, visit The Arc of Chemung’s website at: www.arcofchemung.org.
The Executive Director works in partnership with the Board to set the strategic vision of the organization and translates that vision into actions to advance the organization’s mission and impact. He/she will bring a passion for providing outstanding services to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, and will work with their families, state and county government agencies, philanthropic institutions, community partners and other stakeholders to provide high quality person centered care. Near term priorities include providing strategic leadership related to the implementation and evaluation of supports in a changing environment, including but not limited to the potential transition to managed care from fee for service; working with members of the leadership team to continue to attract and retain high quality direct service providers in an increasingly competitive job market; developing a case statement for private fundraising and strategies for reducing reliance on government funding and playing an active role in the implementation of these strategies, and overseeing a new contract for the START (Systemic Therapeutic Assessment Resources and Treatment) program, a new 17-county pilot program that provides community-based crisis response and prevention services, among others.
The Executive Director provides strategic leadership both internally and externally, and continually seeks opportunities to increase The Arc of Chemung’s impact. Primary responsibilities include ensuring that the organizational culture is one that is progressive, warm and welcoming to the community we serve; providing leadership to the senior leadership team to foster professional development, establish expectations, and continue to provide outstanding programs and services from staff throughout the organization; providing strategic fiscal leadership that supports current programs, services, and staff, and strengthens the financial health of the organization by diversifying funding sources; developing relationships with individuals and families served by The Arc of Chemung; and others which can be seen at
Ideal candidates for this position will share The Arc of Chemung’s vision and values, including the commitment to person-centered care. Other desired experience includes:
• Demonstrated commitment to The Arc of Chemung’s mission, vision, values, and the people we serve.
• Eight years of senior leadership experience, with at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience for an entity serving persons with intellectual and other developmental disabilities or related field.
• Demonstrated business and financial management skills.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong fundraising track record, with an emphasis on experience with government grants, and a capacity to initiate and implement private fundraising campaigns and diversify funding sources.
• An inclusive leadership and management style that encourages staff in ways that motivates them to perform at their best and provides opportunities for professional advancement.
• Experience helping organizations develop and implement creative strategies that lead to increased capacity and outcomes.
• Track record of successful collaboration (with a preference for regional experience).
• Experience with managed care preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in relevant field preferred.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.