Camp Blue Skies seeks adults who have experience working with people with developmental disabilities for a one-week paid position as a cabin counselor for our March 13-17 general session and March 20-24 Williams syndrome session at Camp Twin Lakes in Rutledge, Ga. We host two sessions in the fall at YMCA Camp Harrison in Boomer, North Carolina. The dates for those camps are Sept. 30-Oct. 4 and Oct. 7-11, 2017.
Camp Blue Skies provides 5 days and 4 nights of a traditional camp experience for individuals 21 and older with cognitive and developmental disabilities. The experience focuses on the camper’s physical, mental and emotional well-being through a healthy lifestyle and positive social skills. Along with recreational and outdoor actives available, we also encourage skills for individual independence.
Each cabin has a counselor who has experience with the population, as well as one to two other community volunteers. The paid position is called a HEP Counselor (Has Experience with Population).
Compensation is $500 per session.
The time commitment is six days per session (orientation the day before camp and the full camp session).
Our goal is for all campers to be comfortable and safe.
• Our cabins have heat, air conditioning, bathrooms, and showers.
• The camper to counselor ratio is approximately 2:1.
• Each cabin group has a volunteer who has experience with this population.
• Campers and counselors move about the grounds in teams.
• Nurses are on site 24 hours/day to handle any medical needs (an MD is also available on call).
We take a three-pronged approach to camp, including Recreation, Socialization and Life Skills education activities. This philosophy provides opportunities to be active outside, learn new things, and make new friends. Examples include:
• Recreation activities such as nature walk, zip line, fishing, paddle boats and field games.
• Socialization activities such as a variety show, sing-a-longs, interactive drumming, and final dance.
• Life Skills education such as cooking and nutrition classes, innovative arts/crafts, and team-building activities.